Practice Common Sense*
*because common sense is very uncommon!
Notice how often you hear yourself say…
“That’s just common sense… everyone knows that!”
And, that’s true, most everyone does know that!
However, most of the time, the difficult thing is to recognize the common sense right in front of your face.
The paradox is that the OBVIOUS is OBVIOUS to everyone else but you! Somehow, we too often ignore Common Sense because it is so hard to see when our emotions and behavior get in the way.
- If it is common sense to be fit by eating healthy and regularly exercising, why are 2/3 of Americans so fat?
- If it is common sense to live within your means, why are so many people (and the government) in so much debt?
- If it is common sense to treat others with respect, why are so many people so rude, disrespectful, and indifferent?
- If it is common sense to take responsibility for your conduct and decisions, why are so many people playing victim, feeling entitled, and blaming everyone else?
- If it is common sense for people to collaborate, compromise, share, and reach agreement in order to get along, why do so many people simply fight and remain adversarial with each other?
- If it is common sense that great customer service will motivate the customers to come back, why is it that customer service stinks most of the time?
Because… COMMON SENSE IS VERY UNCOMMON!
COMMON SENSE is WHAT YOU KNOW
It is sensible, prudent, practical, logical, and reflecting sound judgment.
What you know is INSIDE you: it is internally grounded, it reflects self-respect, trusting your judgment, and calm resolve. Common Sense is strategic, long-term, broad based, functional, and responsible.
IN YOUR SANE MOMENTS, IT IS WHAT YOU FEEL IN YOUR GUT.
INSANITY is often WHAT YOU DO
Doing the same habits with the same poor results with the illusion that if you keep doing it that way, you will receive a different outcome.
Too often what you DO is a function of familiarity and habits. What you DO is subject to the pressure of others, it is too often OUTSIDE you… it is short-sighted, short-term oriented, subject to the approval of others, dependent on fear and doubt, and reflects a reaction to your irrational emotions at the time.
INSANITY happens when you need to snatch a rationalization from the jaws of logic at a moment’s notice!
“We’ve always done it that way… if only they would change, then everything would be fine… they are the problem. I give them the answers and tell them what to do, and all they do is pushback.”
Here is some Common Sense – what you know:
The INSANITY Equation:
OLD BELIEFS + OLD HABITS… which are routinely ineffective
= PREDICTABLY POOR OUTCOMES
The SANITY Equation:
NEW BELIEFS + NEW HABITS reflecting COMMON SENSE
= DRAMATICALLY IMPROVED OUTCOMES
THE KEY IS TO CONNECT WHAT YOU DO
(your outside behavior)
WITH WHAT YOU KNOW
(your inside Common Sense)
HOW WOULD YOU DO THAT?
What if you are completely unaware of how to make that connection? What if you are ill-equipped to connect your behavior (outside) with your common sense (inside)?
WHAT IS GOING ON WITH TOO MANY OF US TODAY?
- WE ARE:
- overloaded with information, confused, and often stuck
- overwhelmed with managing our lives, and feeling pessimistic
- financially and physically unfit, and we’re feeling stupid
- worried, anxious, depressed, and medicating with food
- under-employed, under-performing, and under-prepared
- cynical, suspicious, mistrusting, skeptical, and apathetic
- envious, concerned with status, and obsessed with stuff
- unaware of how we contribute to our own dilemmas
- ill-equipped on what to do to fix all this
- WE KEEP:
- repeating the same counter-productive habits! INSANITY! STUPIDITY! (We are insane… they are stupid)
- WE WANT:
- simplicity instead of complexity
- trust instead of suspicion
- clarity instead of confusion – we want it basic and useful
- to learn how to optimistically prevail in love and work
- skills in how to improve our relationships
- tools to be more successful and effective
- solutions and tips in regular bite-size amounts
- we want what we want NOW!
and most important…
WE KNOW THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE
BETWEEN WHAT WE KNOW… COMMON SENSE
AND WHAT WE DO… INSANITY / STUPIDITY
From a distance, we often recognize COMMON SENSE, yet, too often, we fail to apply it to ourselves…
THE MAGIC IS IN THE OBVIOUS… SO…
EMBRACE COMMON SENSE!
DR. MITCHELL PERRY’S
PRACTICE COMMON SENSE*
*Because common sense is very uncommon
… and you CAN fix stupid!